Consumer Assistance Program
Haga clic aquí para obtener Información en español.
The Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) is administered by the Bureau of Automotive Repair. The purpose of CAP is to improve California's air quality by reducing vehicle emissions. In Fiscal Year 2016/17, CAP reduced an estimated 6,958 tons of vehicle emissions through our programs.
If you own an operational vehicle that recently passed or failed a Smog Check inspection, you may be eligible to receive an incentive to retire your vehicle.
- Income-eligible consumers who meet program eligibility requirements may receive $1,500.
- All other eligible consumers may receive $1,000.
Alert:To ensure CAP improves California’s air quality by reducing vehicle emissions, vehicles must meet operational and registration requirements such as:
- Smog Check -- This allows CAP to measure vehicle emissions reductions and drivability.
- Vehicle Registration -- This allows CAP to verify the vehicle is currently registered in California and has been registered in California for two consecutive years preceding the current registration expiration date.
- Apply for CAP’s Repair Assistance after reviewing the eligibility requirements
- Donate the vehicle to a charitable organization
- Contact a dismantler directly (NOTE: The State does NOT have authority to reimburse consumers who retire their vehicles outside of the CAP program.)
- Contact your local Air Quality Management District (AQMD) regarding alternative programs
- Air Resources Board Old Car Buy Back and Scrap Program
- Antelope Valley
- Bay Area
- County of San Luis Obispo
- Mojave Desert
- Ventura County
- Drive Clean in the San Joaquin
South Coast Air Quality Management District Replace Your Ride Program
- Greater Los Angeles Area
For general program questions, call toll-free (800) 952-5210.
For specific application questions, call toll-free (866) 272-9642.