Expedited License Application Review for Refugees, Asylees, and Holders of Special Immigrant Visas

On January 1, 2021, the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) began offering an expedited licensure application review process, as required by Business and Professions Code (BPC) 135.4, to individuals in the following categories:

  1. Refugees pursuant to Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code.

  2. Those granted asylum by the Secretary of Homeland Security or the Attorney General of the United States pursuant to Section 1158 of Title 8 of the United States Code.

  3. Individuals with a special immigrant visa (SIV) that have been granted a status pursuant to Section 1244 of Public Law 110-181, Public Law 109-163, or Section 602(b) of Title VI of Division F of Public Law 111-8.

In order to receive the expedited licensure process, individuals must provide documentation of their refugee, asylee, or SIV status when submitting their application to BAR. Acceptable documentation includes, but is not limited to, the following:

  • Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with an admission class code such as “RE” (Refugee) or “AY” (Asylee) or other information designating the person a refugee or asylee.

  • SIV that includes the classification codes of “SI” or “SQ”.

  • Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) with a category designation indicating the person was admitted as a refugee or asylee.

  • An order from a court of competent jurisdiction or other documentary evidence that provides reasonable assurance that the applicant qualifies for expedited licensure.

Please note, this process does not mean a registration or license must be issued, but simply that the application review will be expedited. For complete information and documentation examples, visit the Department of Consumer Affairs website.

BAR also offers expedited licensure and other assistance to current and former United States military personnel and spouses or domestic partners of active duty or reserve military personnel. Additional information is available under the Licensees tab at www.bar.ca.gov.

Have more questions or need more information on licensure requirements? BAR’s Licensing Program is here to help: Contact barlicensingapplications@dca.ca.gov or call (855) 735-0462 for assistance.

Printable Version