Biometric palm scans replace passwords for BAR-OIS inspections
Effective May 1, 2023, Smog Check inspectors must use a biometric palm scanner instead of a password to perform BAR-OIS inspections. Required pursuant to regulations that went into effect October 2022, the biometric security equipment is an important step for the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) and the Smog Check industry in deterring Smog Check inspection fraud and unlicensed activity, as well as achieving California’s clean air goals.
(Updated May 25, 2023)
Smog Check inspectors must complete biometric enrollment at a BAR field office in order to perform BAR-OIS inspections. To complete your biometric enrollment, contact your local field office.
During biometric enrollment, BAR staff will:
- Verify your identity
- Review data collection notices, including:
- Take your photo
- Scan your palms to establish your biometric palm data profile
Be sure to bring the following items with you to the field office:
- A valid, government-issued photo identification document (other than an inspector badge), such as a driver license, passport, or military identification
- A proof of identification document showing your legal name and signature such as a social security card or credit card
- Your BAR-issued inspector badge (if received prior to enrollment) and inspector license number
Using the Biometric Palm Scanner
For tips on improving authentication success using the biometric palm scanner, view the short video below. For additional information, see the frequently asked questions.
Biometric Equipment Kit Resellers
BAR biometric equipment kit part number: BAR BAK
|Emissions Depot|| www.emissionsdepot.com