Consumer Assistance Program News

CAP Standard Agreements and Notification of Changes

The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) recently renewed approximately 1,400 Standard Agreements with STAR Test-and-Repair stations to perform repair assistance services for the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP). During this process, CAP found that some stations were going through a change of ownership, name change, or address change.

As a reminder, stations must notify CAP and the BAR Licensing Unit when changing ownership or going through a name/address change.

Any change in business ownership or ownership structure that requires a new ARD registration and Smog Check station license will invalidate the CAP Standard Agreement. A new CAP Standard Agreement is required before the station can resume CAP repairs.

A change of business name and/or address (with no change of ownership) does not require a new ARD registration and Smog Check station license. However, an amendment to the CAP Standard Agreement is required to reflect the new name and/or address. Stations may continue to perform CAP repairs during the CAP Standard Agreement amendment process, unless otherwise advised.

Stations may contact the CAP Help Desk at (866) 361-3933 for assistance.

Participating Vehicle Retirement Dismantlers

BAR recently re-bid the Vehicle Retirement dismantler contracts. Consequently, the contracted dismantlers for several areas have changed. For a listing of participating vehicle dismantlers, visit BAR’s website at

CAP Online Application

CAP now offers an online application for Repair Assistance and Vehicle Retirement in both English and Spanish. For complete eligibility requirements and to access the online application, refer consumers to the Consumer Assistance Progam page at

Printable Version