Complaint Process and Form

At some point all of us will need to take our vehicles into an automotive repair shop, whether it's for routine maintenance like oil changes and tune-ups or more extensive work like collision repairs.

You should normally feel confident that a repair shop will do the work properly and for a reasonable price. However, when you believe work has not been done properly, or that you have not been treated fairly by an automotive repair dealer, it's important that you have a place to turn to for help. That place is the Bureau of Automotive Repair.

How Can BAR Help Me?

Each year, BAR negotiates millions of dollars in rework, refunds, and adjustments on behalf of consumers. If you feel you have a complaint requiring investigation, we'll help you check it out!

How Do I File a Complaint?

There are three ways you can file a complaint:

  1. File the Complaint Form online.
  2. Complete, print, and mail the Complaint Form ( Español ).
  3. Call (800) 952-5210 to have a Complaint Form mailed to you.

How Does BAR Resolve My Complaint?

  • Upon receiving your form, BAR will assign a case number to your complaint. Within 10 days you will receive a postcard acknowledging receipt of your complaint and identifying the BAR representative assigned to your case.
  • A supervisor will review the complaint to see if it appears the shop has violated the Auto Repair Act or any other laws.
  • The assigned BAR representative will review the complaint and contact you.
  • Your BAR representative will attempt to negotiate with the repair shop on your behalf. While BAR cannot represent you in court, collect money, or levy fines on your behalf, your BAR representative will contact the owner or manager of the repair shop, describe your complaint, and attempt to facilitate a satisfactory settlement.
  • The complaint resolution effort may require your BAR representative to contact you and the repair shop several times.
  • If it appears any Auto Repair Act violations have occurred, your BAR representative will try to obtain documentation.
  • The outcome will be confirmed with both sides and you will be notified, by phone, in person, or by mail when the case is closed.

What Happens if We Don't Reach an Agreement?

You may want to consult an attorney, or take your case to civil court. Unfortunately, BAR cannot represent you in court, collect money, or levy fines on your behalf. You may request information on how to subpoena records from BAR by contacting a local BAR field office.